Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dumbo's Circus (1985-1988)


Anyone else grow up with this show? This gem of a disney channel show ran for three and a half seasons in the late eighties, and continued to air reruns until 1997. Basically, my childhood.

Unlike my child self, I don't have the patience to sit through it now. But it's another television series roughly adapted from a Disney movie that I watched every episode. Multiple times. (Other movies that were made into television series I watched included Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables, and The Little Mermaid.) However, the Dumbo's circus oddly enough didn't include any of the characters from the original movie, except Dumbo of course who, unlike the movie, talks.

Apparently many of Dumbo's Circus' cast went on to star in Focus on the Family's radio series Adventures in Odyssey. Though I never listened to it, I have friends who would. Apparently Dr. Dobson commissioned the radio show to be an alternative to Saturday-morning cartoons. (I stuck to my gummi bears.) Who knew? A focus on the family - disney connection. (I don't suppose there's many of them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment