Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)

Watching Ichabod reminded me of watching the disney channel in October when I was a kid. I get nervous watching it with Finn-- is it too much for him? He sits between Lucy and me, and holds our hands.

We've been noticing that you can see the genesis of some ideas/drawings/characters. While watching Ichabod, it felt like Cinderella. Lucy replied, "I KNOW! AND THAT'S THE NEXT MOVIE!"

We really have been delighting in watching these together. We usually eat together, and it's been really great bonding time for us girls.

I've never read The Wind in the Willows, which is what Mr. Toad is based upon. However, I have been on Mr. Toad's wild ride too many times to count, so the characters felt familiar. (Especially mole and ratty, who make an appearance in Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983). Side note: searching for "mole rat" in google images does not yield any disney results.)

I loved how Mr. Toad had "mania" -- I generally am interested in how human emotions are represented in these films. There's been a lot of depression thus far, so it was interesting to see Mr. Toad's mania, and his friend's responses to it.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED Wind and the Willows growing up. So haunted by the many levels of melancholy, mania and desperation that happen in the story. haven't seen it in 20 years but i can still hear "A Motor Car...A Motor Car..."

    ReplyDelete